In partnership with Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo’s Office and Harris County Public Health, Elevate Strategies LLC is hiring Canvassers for a comprehensive outreach program focused on increasing access and trust in the COVID-19 vaccines by meeting Harris County residents where they are.
The campaign will consist of fifty canvassers going door-to-door to combat COVID-19 vaccine misinformation, educate residents on the benefits of vaccinations, and improve health outcomes.
It is essential that candidates are outgoing, engaging, driven, possess a positive attitude, and want to make a difference in their community by increasing the number of Harris County residents who receive the vaccine.
This position begins immediately and is contract-funded, which means the position will be terminated should the county end the program early. If the county does not decide to end the program early, the position will last for several months.
- effectively engage residents through door-to-door conversations to schedule residents for a COVID-19 vaccination appointment, provide accurate information and inform them on the importance of the vaccine -- depending on the weather, conversations may take place over the phone
- work with assigned Deputy Organizing Director to ensure that canvassing goals are met
- use technology tools to ensure accurate data entry
- make adjustments to canvassing tactics as instructed by canvass leadership
- complete daily and weekly reports on progress to goal for all metrics
- represent the campaign with professionalism and ethical conduct
- successfully complete required training on the COVID-19 vaccine, scheduling process, COVID-19 safety, and canvassing database
- protect and maintain privacy and confidentiality
- other duties as requested
Need to have
- strong commitment to providing Harris County residents with facts about the COVID-19 vaccinations to improve health outcomes
- ability to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- ability to be flexible, learn quickly and work in a fast-paced environment
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as a professional and positive attitude
- must be able to use a tablet and learn how to use use a constituent organizing platform/software
- must have access to reliable transportation
- strong work ethic and commitment to community
- willing to work independently and as part of a team
- follow detailed instructions to fill out reporting documents
- ability to show empathy to individuals during a time of crisis and distress
- ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
Nice to have
- previous experience working in a public-facing capacity, such as customer service, sales, brand ambassador, community outreach, or social service
- previous experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, demonstrating the ability to connect with diverse communities and move people to action
- at least near-native fluency in Spanish
- proficiency with EveryAction (VAN), including MiniVAN
- must be able to produce proof of current COVID-19 vaccinations
- must be able to pass a background check and drug test
- must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- must be able to work evenings and weekends
- must be a resident of the Houston area
This is a part-time position up to 29 hours per week. The hourly rate is $25.